Data Execution Prevention - Freaking Windows Explorer

Friday night my laptop goes nuts on me. All I want to do is transfer some mp3s from my laptop to the Creative Zen Nano Plus for my evening run. Yes, I don't own an iPod and I love my Creative Zen. For $80.00 dollars it's simply awesome. Just drag & drop your mp3s or any file. Its that simple. No importing. Anyway, instead of copying my mp3s I get hit my this stupid Windows Error...ughhh...

At this point, all I wanna do is go run. So, instead of clicking on the "Close Message" button I just transfer the files first. I noticed if you don't click the "Close Message" which kills explorer, just open any folder from your desktop. Then you can brows to other areas within the folder. That's what I did, for the time being.

Later that night I fixed the problem, and here's what I did:

1. Shut down my laptop,

2. Restart in Safe Mode. For Dell its "F8" before the splash screen,

3. Go to Start --> Control Panel --> System,

4. In System Properties click on Advanced --> in Performance click Settings,

5. In Performance Options click the Data Execution Prevention tab , click "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" and select Windows Explorer,

6. Click "OK" and restart your computer in normal mode.

And it should be working fine. Once its all up and running you can enjoy reading this article by Sam Harris on the latimes.com. I think it's a well written article. Enjoy!

10 myths -- and 10 truths -- about atheism

No comments: