5 Miler Since 2005


Last time I raced was in 2005 at the Sunflower State Game in Topeka, Ks. It was a 3K race on a track. I still remember, after that first 400 meter turn the heat on my back and thinking to myself, 'Oh boy I am done.'

Since then a lot has happened and I never muster the courage to race again. I'd always find an excuse to put it off. That is until this year. Starting February, I decided to become serious and approach my running in a more scientific method. By April it was clear I needed to set a goal and strive towards it. On a later post, I will describe in grueling detail about my run and training for this year, 2019. But for today, I wanna discuss my experience running my first race after almost a decade.

On October 20, I raced the Rocktober Fest and competed on the 5 miler. At the beginning of the race, I was very cautious and stayed pretty much all the way on the back. Once the race started, I let my body find it's sweet spot, the groove, the rhythm. The first mile I passed was 9.50 and I knew I needed to star pushing more. So, I started picking up the pace.

Around 2 mile, came across a group of runner blaring the Bluetooth speaker attached to the back of one of the runner's hip. After the first few minutes, I am getting annoyed and planning on moving past him. For the next few minutes what seemed like a loooooong time I am trying to shake off the group. That's when I come up to the downhill slope. Instead of charging down the hill though, I decided to focus on my rhythm and posture. I think that paid off. Because by the end of the hill, I had passed the group.

Mile 3 pretty uneventful. Just focusing on my run and enjoying the different view of this awesome city.

Mile 4, came across another runner complaining to all the passers about how terrible whatever is. Put my head down and completely ignored him. Mile 4.38, just passed someone and she decides to catch up and pass me. Instead of sprinting forward and possibly costing my leg I decided to hold my pace steady and focus, Within a minute, I pass the runner for the last time and crossed the finish line soon after.


Crossed the finish line in 45 minutes and 21 second according to my personal time. Official time is a little lower than mine....=)


Everything I am learning on this journey can transcend over to my professional and academic life. And it has been. More on that oat a later post as well.

Along the way, it is important to call on others for support, rely on. Here I am looking for encouragement for my 10 year old.


Smile, Love and Believe...

No comments: