One Morning Commute


On my way to work I am feeling pretty good. Riding a good speed on Harris Blvd. Traffic is light, just a perfect day. And that’s when I notice it bouncing.

You see I USED to tie my badge to my bike. I’d tie the neck wrap around the left mirror and then just stuck the badge in between the speedometer and the windshield. Usually I would do that after I get home from work, park my bike and made sure it was tight. I guess that particular night I forgot to do the last part.
Anyway, as I am traveling 60mph on Harris enjoying the morning coolness, I notice the badge holder starting to bounce. Immediately I check my mirror to see if there’s any car behind me. If there is I won’t attempt to save it. In a matter of second going 60mph the badge starts flying, hits the plastic fairing, the holder breaks and my badge flies off. Ughhh….

I put on the signal and pull over to the side. Park my bike. Have a pretty good idea where it could be based on my speed and wind direction. I start walking. See the bike right across the street. Check for traffic. Yup oncoming cars, however still a bit far. I walk over, trying to pick it up. Hear an engine roar. Another bike pulled over to a parking lot to make sure if I am doing ok. I give him the thumbs up and so does he. Again trying to pick up my badge and I can’t pick it up with the gloves on. And cars are coming fast. So, I kick the badge to the side. Move over and then pick it up. 

No comments: