Riding on the Highway


Today for the first time I got on the highway to get to Toys R Us on my bike. Initially I thought of riding on the streets but 9 minutes vs. 17 minutes, kinda hard not to jump on the highway.

It not like I haven’t been going over 60mph, but on the highway you have road hazard and faster car, SUV and trucks. While it was a little overwhelming at first, but especially on my way back I was more relaxed.

Number One, truckers tends to be more cautious and generous to bikers than the average Joes. I suspect part of the reason being, a lot of truckers themselves are riders. During the move every single trucker, loader I met are riders. Thinking about it, sorta makes sense. After driving a big truck for days on, it only makes sense to ride a bike rather than another box. It may also be that, truckers know any accident with a truck and I don’t stand a chance. I very well may not make even a dent on his truck, but I am sure will be dead.

Number Two, thanks to me paying attention on the road. I remember once seeing a biker in IA getting on the highway on his sports bike and tuck behind the windshield, bending over. On my way to Toys R Us, I didn’t tuck down and the wind was hitting me pretty hard and the bike too felt kinda wobbly. If I tried to go over 60mph, it would be feel unstable.

On my back, I tucked more out of curiosity than anything else and amazingly the bike is more stable. Make sense and I didn’t have any issue going up to 70mph. Did miss my exit though and had to do a U-Turn at the signal light.

No comments: