Visit to Chicago


Last weekend we visited Chicago on a whim. I had thought of visiting on Friday. That night I made the hotel reservation, packed all our stuff without Tina knowing.

Friday night got drunk on Vodka. Next morning we went to the Blank Park Zoo with our friends as promised. Tina had no idea. After the zoo, get some ice-cream at the DQ. From there we took off. After driving for an hour, she figured out we are not going swimming but Chicago. My plan was quite simple for the whole trip. We would be in Chicago by 9pm the latest on Saturday. So hit up Devon st. first. Get something to eat, and then shopping. On Sunday, do more shopping during the day. In the afternoon, hit the beach and try The Weiner Circle at night.

Needless to say, most of that didn’t happen. We did the shopping and more shopping, oh and lots of eating & shopping. That’s all. I first fell in love; learned to eat a hotdog in Chicago. Back in 2003, when I visited Chicago, I fell in love with their hotdog. And that was the last time, I had a Chicago dog. Since then I’ve been to the Windy City twice, but never had the chance to try one out. It’s frustrating to think, I spent a good hour (maybe two) on Friday searching, reading reviews and then finally deciding on The Weiner Circle. Just as I had planned on going to the North Avenue beach, which didn’t happened either. Who the fuck am I kidding?

We went to the Navy Pier, but it’s more commercialized than Coney Island or Santa Monica. We didn’t even make it to the end of the pier or try the bike tour. Unlike LA, Minneapolis or even NY, Chicago lacks some kind of vibe. I never quite felt the urge to live here or move here. The whole city appears to be much commercialized. For the people in the Midwest, this might do.

I did reminiscence the first time me & Ruma came to Chicago. And by sheer chance, we were staying at a hotel on the same street as before. As we were driving around, the roads looked familiar. At one point, I recognized the Mediterranean restaurant we went to but didn’t really eat much. Instead came back to the hotel and ordered some Chinese with no MSG.   

No worries. Soon, pretty soon sitting on the stairs, I am going to enjoy a bacon wrapped hotdog with Siana in Hollywood; sit on the sidewalk to enjoy a taco & tamale in Koreatown; share the Bicycle burger at Grandma’s Restaurant in Duluth….and more.

No comments: